Sunday, November 21, 2010

Opening Day Lesson

Sorry no huge buck pics, not even a doe pic to show.  A lesson learned to share though.  Like I said, I am new to this whole hunting thing. (Its a good excuse, right?)  I walked in and got all settled in. Roasty toasty in the 17 degree morning, I can see my breath as the sun begins to rise.  My heartbeat starts to increase in anticipation, as the sun crests the horizon I start to hear shots being fired.  Any moment now, I smile.  I hear movement near where I came in.  A snort,he stomps his feet. He huffs and then..... nothing. 
Whats wrong?  Why didn't he come in?  This replayed to my amazement 4 times yesterday morning.   Yes 4 times I heard this.  By the 2nd time I knew they caught my scent.  I should have moved then.  I didn't. I stuck it out hoping I'd catch them as they tried to slink through.  That never happened though.  Today I will be moving my stand.  Sad.  It was a good spot, until I ruined it.  From now on, I will give trails a wide berth.  Lesson learned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darn it anyhow! I'm still rootin' for ya though. Plenty of time and just rember, it's called hunting for a reason ☺