Sunday, September 12, 2010

Story Time

First I have to say Go Pack Go! Good job today Packers, I enjoyed the game but they need a little work getting the offence and defence in line. Perserverance will be the key, as it is for me and that is where todays story will come from.  I found it in "The Book of Virtues" by William J. Bennett, the chapter of Perseverance.

                 
 You Mustn't Quit

When things go wrong, as they somtimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest! if you must--but never quit.

Life is queer, with twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won if he'd stuck it out;
Stick to your task, though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with one more blow.

Success is failure turned inside out-
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt

And you never can tell how close you are,

It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
 It's when things seem worst that YOU MUSTN'T QUIT.
I like this story at this time in my life, it really speaks to me.  The hardest part of quitting smoking is that it never seems like theres a good time.  Theres always some stress, some wedding, funeral, lifes to hectic to try and quit. Theres always an excuse to go back to smoking.  Some "trigger" to pop up in your life, to send you back down the spiral of being a smoker.
Today we had a few things to do today and in between places to be I had the kids pick up the house while I did the dishes.  My youngest son was pouting about it pretty good and was appealing to my husband for a second opinion on chores. My hubby looked at his son and asked "Whats the matter buddy? Life got you down? Are you over-worked and underpaid?"  This only got a look of frustration from my son, but I on the other hand could not contain my laughter!  How true, poor kid gets nothing but a simple "thank you" from me, because I believe that I shouldn't have pay kids to clean up a house that they messed up in the first place. Isn't that just encouraging them to be messier?  Instead I encourage them to hurry it up so that we can get on to the better parts of the day.   That too, is perseverance I think.

No comments: